Focus Areas: Figures
Artworks by Alka Choudhary
About Alka Choudhary
Alka is a Gurugram based contemporary figurative artist. She believes that life is all about happiness. She paints the dreams of a lady. Her “Dreaming Lady” is in constant search of her real happiness, which lies in the relationship. Alka has a strong belief in nature and uses birds, butterflies, flowers in her paintings to show the various emotions of “Dreaming Lady”. In her unique style, she portrays a charming contemporary lady with long eyes and subtle joyful expressions. Her paintings gave impressions from the diverse natural landscape from the Thar Desert, tropical forests, Satpura hills, great Himalayas, the holy river the Ganges. She hails from a historical town Didwana Rajasthan, also known as Abhanagri. Similar to other habitats of Rajasthan, this town is also full of heritage and cultural places. In Rajasthan, people celebrate festivals with fun, joy, and colors particularly Holi Diwali, Teez-Gangaur, and various trade fairs. Since her early childhood, she was attracted to the colorful dresses, ornaments, and Bani-Thani art from the neighboring town Kishangarh. She used to make crafts, paintings, and sculptures in her own capacities. After completing her school education, she went to Sri Ganganagar for her graduation in Homeopathy Medicine. In graduation, Anatomy was her favorite subject and that tilted her art form towards figurative and later on, she opted for contemporary figurative as her main art form. She completed her graduation and started visiting new cities to learn, interact, and observe art, artists, and galleries. Her stay at Bhopal proved to be pivotal in her life. She interacted with many artists and art groups in Bhopal. This helped her in developing her own thought processes. She started spending time around lakes and forests and got many inspirations. During this period she developed her own style of a contemporary lady which was appreciated and criticized at the same time by her colleagues. This phase of her artist’s life was the longest and most challenging, as developing a fresh concept for a new painting was not easy at all. She moved on with all confusion and challenges to her new destination Dehradun, in the foothills of the Himalayas. Alka frequently visited Rishikesh, Haridwar, Mussoorie, and spent a lot of time thinking and enriching her thoughts. Slowly she started enjoying yoga and spirituality. In her Bardinath and Tungnath visit, she was overwhelmed by the natural beauty. Alka uses her own dreams as the subject of her art and does many experiments with her dreaming lady. She observed the power of eyes and created beautiful long eyes. Eyes convey what we cannot say. The eyes of the dreaming lady are deep as a lake and elongated like a river.
She creates special effects on the hair by using stars, flowers, and other motifs. The uses of various other elements like flowers, birds, fish, jewelry, insects, etc are differentiating her artwork from others. In her journey, Alka created a series of artworks like Maternal Instinct, Human-Animal Affection, Amour, The Affair of Minds, Anvesha, The Deep, Venus – Goddess of Love, The King & Queen of Garden, The Queen, Yellow Clip, Golden Wings, Blessings, Series on Zodiac signs, Frida series, apart from many stand-alone artworks. In the Anvesh series, she conveyed the message of happiness. This series is inspired by the contemporary lifestyle with a reflection of traditional culture. It is about a dream that she cherishes since her adolescence. A young lady waiting for her love. Alka used red lotus to convey heartfelt compassion and love. Through the work in her series The Affair of Minds, she realized that proximity is not always necessary for love. Like mindedness and common thoughts are building blocks of friendships. The closeness of mindand thoughts is more important for a relationship to flourish. Her recent love is the “Great Queen Frida”. An unavoidable stalwart of the figurative art world – Frida, a Mexican artist, who struggled physically throughout her very short life yet never forgot to dream. Alka is so engrossed & attached with Frida that she celebrated Frida’s birthday in a unique way. She dressed like Frida on 6th Jul to celebrate Frida’s 114th birthday. On the very same day Alka unveiled a portrait of Frida, in which she highlighted Frida’s love for Diego. Alka carefully used elements which Frida loved a lot e.g. watermelon was Frida’s last painting, which is at center of this artwork, red fuschia flowers & calla lilies in tiara etc.
Solo Art Exhibition
❖ Solo art exhibition titled “The Art Brunch” on 24 Oct 2021 at J W Marriott, Aerocity, New Delhi.
❖ Solo art exhibition titled “My Way” from 24 Sep to 30 Sep 2021 at Uchaan Arts, Gurugram.
❖ Solo art exhibition titled “Mystical Reverie” from 20 Mar to 2 Apr 2021 at Vennba Art Gallery, Chennai.
❖ Solo Show in “On Art Fair” India’s First Virtual Art Fair organized by Mojarto from 28-30 Aug 2020
● Participating in “Artistagram 2021” a contemporary art exhibition from 1 Oct to 4 Oct 2021, Visual Art Gallery, India Habitat Center, New Delhi, organized by Uchaan Arts.
● Participated in group art show “Whimsical Memories – 2” from 28 Aug to 31 Aug 2021 organized by Gnani Arts, Singapore.
● Participated in COVID-19 charity art project for India 2021 “And She Slays The Demon” from 23 May to 23 Jun 2021 organinzed by Gnani Arts, Singapore.
● Participated in the National Exhibition of Arts titled “The Kisans” Nov 2020, Kochi, India.
● Participated in the “7th International Burullus Symposium – 2020” Oct 2020, Burullus, Egypt.
● “Spirit of Freedom” – An online art camp & exhibition organized by India International Travel Art Group from 13 Aug to 15 Aug 2020
● “My Monna-lisa” – An online art exhibition of paintings organized by Uchaan Foundation from 2 Aug to 10 Aug 2020.
● 11th Rangmalhar 2020 – Participated 11th Edition of Rangmalhar held on 5th Jul 2020
● “Triumph of Masterworks Our National Pride – Edition IV” – A Group Art Exhibition of Paintings & Sculptors, Organized by NDMC from 3 Jan to 18 Jan 2020, Janpath, Connaught Place, New Delhi.
● Group Art Exhibition – “ Pradutit – Beginning to Shine ” from 29 Nov to 14 Dec 2019, at Navrathan’s Antique Art, MG Road, Bengaluru.
● Participated in the “India Art Festival” 14-17 Nov 2019, New Delhi.
● Group Art Exhibition – “ Conversations ”from 15 – 20 Nov 2019, at Visual Art Gallery, IndiaHabitat Center, NewDelhi
● 85th All India Exhibition of Arts 2019, Indian Academy of Fine Arts Amritsar – Artwork selected for display
● Art for Odisha 2019 All India Fine Art and Craft, New Delhi
● Art for Nation 2019 at India Gate
● First International Kala Mela 4 – 18 Feb 2018 – Lalit Kala Academy, National Academy of Arts New Delhi
● India Art Festival 22 – 25 Nov 2018 – India’s Contemporary Art Fair, New Delhi
● 84th All India Exhibition of Arts 2018, Indian Academy of Fine Arts Amritsar
● Art Mart International Khajjuraho Feb 2017: Participated in Art Mart 2017 organized by MP Sanskrit Parishad Govt of MP
● Spandan Global Art Festival Jaipur March 2017: Participated in Spandan Global Art Festival organized by Spandan International.
● Ananda 3 – A Group Exhibition March 2017: Participated in Ananda 3 organized by Art 2020 Bhopal
● Jaipur Kala Mahotsava 2017: Participated in Jaipur Kala Mahotsava 2017 organized by Pratibha Educational Development Research Society.
● Sparsh Painting Exhibition, Swaraj Bhawan, Bhopal May 2017: Participated in the exhibition based on the theme – Motherhood
● FINEXT Award National Exhibition of MINI ARTWORK Oct 2017: Artwork selected for exhibition at Indore and Bhopal
● Uchann All India Online Art Competition of Painting Nov 2017: Artwork acknowledged for Exhibition at UCHAAN GALLERY, Gurugram
● International Art Camp and Exhibition Dec 2016: Participated in International Art Camp 2016 organized by Lalit Kala Academy Indore.
● Special Recognition Award: Artwork was recognized by the jury for cash reward in International Art Camp and Exhibition Dec 2016 organized by Lalit Kala Academy Indore.
Private collection in India, USA & Singapore
● Ravi K Chandran, Director & Cinematographer
● Dr Aravindan Selvaraj, Kauvery Hospital, Chennai
● Dr B. Priya Kalyani, Kanaa – Center for Assisted Reproduction, Chennai