Mixed Media paintings BY
Focus Areas: Radha Krishna, Ganesha, etc.
Artworks by G Subramanian
About G Subramanian
It is believed that with loss that a new life begins. As a young artist in the city, G. Subramanian was carving a niche for himself as a decorative painter, when his only daughter was diagnosed with cancer. Her passing away shattered all possibilities and his life came to a standstill. He went on a spiritual journey in search of answers, yet his life seemed distant and blurry. His reverie was broken when he won a gold medal in an art competition, which led him to take weekend art classes for children. He visited the Sistine Chapel in Italy, and while facing Michelangelo’s master piece, he found his path and a whole new meaning to his life.
“I started working on images of Gods, Goddesses, parrots, flowers like the lotus and the smiling face of my daughter always find a place in my art. These subjects come naturally to me. The mythological images like Buddha, Ganesha, Krishna and Saraswati come from my childhood memories growing up in the coastal village listening to mythological stories narrated by the elders. My daughter loved birds and the parrot was her favourite, so all my paintings will depict one. The inspiration and spark behind my art is the smile of my daughter. For me texture is very important and helps me connect with the viewers. I want the person looking at my art to not only understand the emotion behind it but to also feel it”.
Born in 1952 in Tamil Nadu, G Subramanian’s work is inspired by innocence and divine beauty in a child’s face and the power of Indian mythology. He graduated in Fine Arts from the Government College of Arts and Crafts in Chennai. His works are a part of the Lalit Kala Akademi in New Delhi, South Side Gallery, Edinburg, UK and The World Bank in Chennai. His multi-layered collages reinterpret the printed images and texts from popular magazines with abstract background highlighting the complex imagery. He makes use of his experience as a graphic designer in the play with images.
G . S U B R A M A N I A N
Born on 1st May, 1952 At Thandavankulam, Tamilnadu
Graduate in Fine Arts – First Class – First Rank,
Govt. College of Arts & Crafts,
Kumbakonam Tamil Nadu – 1974.
- Kalaimaiyam International Fellowship Award, Rochestor, Kent , UK – 2019
- Saudia 6th Malwan GCC Countries Biennale Award 2003.
- AIFACS Award – 2000 All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society-NewDelhi
- Tamilnadu State Lalitkala Akademi Award – 2000
- Saudia 4th Malwan Award with U.K. Trip, 1998
- Saudia 3rd Malwan Medal with Italy & France visit, 1996.
- Lenin 113th Birth Anniversary Award, Soviet Cultural Center, Madras, 1983.
- Cash Award – Baratha Kalaparishad, Hyderabad, 1982.
- Cash Award – 41st All India Art Exhibition, Hyderabad Art society, 1982.
- Cash Award – Mysore Dasara Exhibition, 1982.
- Gold Medal – C.D.P.A.A., Coimbatore, 1972.
- Cash Award – Chitrakala Parishad , Bangalore, 1972.
- First Prize – Manavar Manram, Madras, 1972.
ONE MAN SHOWS
- Sublime Galleria, Bangalore-2018
- Subra A Retrospective, Art Houz, Bangalore -2017
- Art Smart, Taj Mahal Palace, New Delhi -2010
- Shrishti Gallery, Hyderabad – 2009
- Triveni Kala Sangham, New Delhi – 2008
- Apparao Gallery, Chennai – 2008
- Subra 2008, Kynkyny Gallery, Bangalore – 2008
- ‘Divine Intervention’ Artgate India Inaugral show, Mumbai – 2007
- ‘Soul to Soul’ Polka Gallery, New Delhi – 2007
- ‘Subra 2005’ Concern India Foundation , The Oberoi,Bangalore
- ‘Subra 2004’ Kynkyny Gallery Bangalore
- Retrospective Shows ,Alliance Francaise, Pondicherry,
CKP Bangalore, Lakshana Gallery, Hyderabad – 2004
- Lakshana Gallery, Bangalore – 2002.
- Vinyasa Gallery, Chennai – 2001 and 2003
- Chitra Kala Parishad, Bangalore –
- Davincian Art Gallery, Bangalore – 2000.
- Alliance Francaise, Bangalore – 1981 & 1983.
EXHIBITIONS & GROUP SHOWS
- Southern Aesthetics, The Tagore Centre, Embassy of India,
Berlin and Hanover – Germany 2019
- Artery International Art Fair, Marina Bay Sands Hotel – Singapore, 2019
- Home Away From Home – India House 50th Anniversary Show – Paris, France – 2018
- Soulmate, Visual Art Gallery, India Habitat Center, New Delhi-2018
- Art Dubai, Gnani Arts (Singapore), Dubai-2018
- International Art in Residence, Easel Stories Gallery, Noida-2017
- Art Houz second anniversary show, Bangalore – 2016
- Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi, UAE – 2015
- India Art & Gems Fair, Leela Palace, Bangalore – 2015
- Kynkyny Gallery group shows till 2015
- Indian Arists Groupshow, Mahatma Gandhi Institute – Mauritius, 2012
- Grand Trunk Gallery, Curated by Priti Sen, Singapore – 2010
- Stellar Configuration, Curated by Viji Nageshwaran, (Vinnyasa, Chennai)
Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai – 2008
- The Asian Womb, Art Chamber, Goa – 2008
- Indian Kaleidoscope, Archana Gallery curated by Archana Marshall,
Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia – 2008
- Two man show, Mon Art Gallery curated by Manju Sethia, Kolkata – 2007
- ‘Shoots and Roots’ Group show curated by Meenu Jayapuriya
at The Gallery Cork, Mayfair, London – 2007
- ‘Beyond Boundaries’ curated by Meenu Jayapuriya of
Mahua Gallery, Bangalore and Mumbai – 2007
- ‘Gimme Red’ curated by Aarti Singh of Polka Gallery, New Delhi, – 2006
- ‘Pathways to Heaven’ 13 Indian artists show curated by Sangeeta
of Fiidaa Art Gallery, Singapore – 2006
- ‘Art Beyond Words’, Exhibition on eminent Indian artists show curated by Viji Hashim,
Bangkok, Thailand – 2006
- Group show curated by Namrata of Kynkyny Gallery, San Francisco, USA – 2006
- Krishna – Art for Concern, Alliance Franciase, New Delhi – 2005
- Modern Myth – Changing Images of Contemporary Indian Art Exhibition
at University of Texas, Austin, USA
- Art Mantram’s International Art Festival Bangalore – 2004
- Exhibition on Ganesha at Leela Galleria organised by
Time & Space Gallery Bangalore – 2004
- Kynkyny Gallery Inaugural Show Bangalore – 2004
- Art for Education – Round Table India Charitable Show, Time & Space Gallery Bangalore – 2004
- All India Artists Miniature Format Show, Vinyasa Gallery Chennai – 2004
- National Exhibition of Art, 2001, 2003 and 2004 – Lalit Kala Akademi New Delhi
- ‘Mothers Day’ Selected Indian Artists Group Show , WindsorSheraton
organised by Time & Space Gallery Bangalore 2002
- Tamilnadu Artist Group show, Maxmuller Bhavan, Bangalore. 1984.
- Group Show on “Human Relationship” All over Karnataka. 1982.
- Karnataka Painters Group Show, Bangalore, 1980.
- International Art Camp, Philly’s Gallery, Singapore – 2016
- Art for Impact, Dr. Reddy’s Foundation art camp, Hyderabad – 2016
- Tata Steel, Art-N-Indusrty art camp, Jamshedpur – 2016
- Ethnic Mindscape, Lalit Kala Akademi’s National Camp,Chennai, 2015
- International Camp, Alva’s institution, Mudabadri, 2013
- Malaysia and Thailand tour by Lakshmi Venkatraghavan
Sri Parvati Gallery, Chennai – 2007
- Painting auctioned in aid of MSSI, Chennai – 2000.
- Paintings for Kargil Relief Fund – Organised by
Indian Express Pallava Artist Village, Padappai,1999.
- All India Drawing Camp, Chitrakala Parishad, Banglore, 1981.
- Karnataka Kala Mela, Bangalore, 1980 &1981.
- Artist Camp – Writers Guild, Bangalore , 1979.
- Print Making Workshop Conducted by USIS, Madrass 74.
- Cox and Kings-Mumbai
- Lalit Kala Akademi – New Delhi
- Architect Norman Foster’s Carre D’ Art – Nimes, France
- South Side Gallery, Edinburg – U.K.
- Ministry of Defence, New Delhi
- SAP Labs, Bangalore
- ING Vysya Bank, Bangalore
- Medwin Hospital Complex, Hyderabad
- ABN AMRO Bank – Chennai
- The World Bank – Chennai
- HSBC Bank – Bangalore
- General Electrics – Bangalore
- Vinayasa Gallery Chennai
- Time & Space Gallery Bangalore
- Saudi Arabian Airlines Jeddah, K.S.A.
- Kinfotech PVT. LTD, Bangalore.
- Tamilnadu Tourism Development Corporation.
- Karnataka Lalitkala Akademi.
- Archeological Museum, Bangalore.
- Many Private Collections in India, USA, France, U.K., Canada , Lebanon, Austria & Saudi Arabia.