Joined Craft Tatva: December 2021
Dr. Meena Baya is a national and internationally acclaimed painter and printmaker who hails from Rajasthan state of India. Her painting is poetry in visual form having a stylised medley of human and various elements of nature. Her vibrant symbolic painting through soft and delicate textures and layers create a novel visual vocabulary that expresses her childlike innocence and keen observations. Her palette is innovative and complex. Her paintings reflect her keen sensitivity to the natural world which is all inclusive, giving her fluid perception of the tiniest of the being. Her masterful fusion of realism which abstraction weaves images that take us into a realm where we feel its powerful visceral impact. She has been exhibiting her paintings for over 30 years in India and abroad having both solo and group exhibitions. She has also won a number of awards and fellowships that include Rajasthan state award, fellowship by ministry of culture government of India, research grant from national Lalit kala academy, fellowship by British council and art council of Wales, UK. Adding to her artistic contributions she has broadcasted art talks and her paintings have been used as illustrations in India today and other nation level reputed magazines. Currently along with her academic commitments as associate professor, she continues her art practice to further expand her visual language.
Focus Areas: Figures
Artworks by Meena Baya
Morning Begins _21 inches X 24 Inches₹63,000.00
About Meena Baya
The paintings of Dr. Meena Baya reflect the depth of her experiences , and are capable of saying many things through the silent spectators. She has been working in the art field for twenty-five years. Dr. Meena Baya’s paintings have been exhibited in solo shows in nearly one dozen cities around the world. Besides , her paintings have been included for group exhibitions organized by prestigious art institutions , both domestic as well as international. Meena Baya has won many awards including the Rajasthan Lalit Kala Academy Award for painting in 1998. Her various works have been collected by Rajasthan Lakit Kala Academy , Jawahar Kala Kendra Sahitya Kala Parishad , New Delhi , West Zone Culture Centre besides corporate institutions. In India and countries abroad such as U.K. , U.S.A. , Germany , Holland , New Zealand , Pakistan , Israel , France , Ireland , Canada etc.
Born in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
• M.A. (Drawing and Painting) with Gold Medal from M.L.S. University, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
• Ph D in ‘Jain Temple sculpture of Mewar’ 1999, M.L.S.U. , Udaipur, Rajasthan.
• Associate Professor, Drawing and Painting, M.G. College, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
Solo Show :
• 2012 Kampo Cultural Centre, Japan.
• 2011 Studio 448, Udaipur.
• 2005 Built-More, Cupertino (CA), USA.
• 2004 Ocean Oasis, Los Angeles, USA.
• 2002 Triveni Gallery New Delhi.
• 2001 Juneja Art Gallery, Jaipur.
• 2001 Lucknow.
• 1996 St. David’s Hall, Cardiff, U.K.
• 1995 Nehru Centre, Mumbai.
• 1992 Udaipur.
• 1991 Zawar Mines, (Udaipur).
• 1989 Fine art Faculty, M.S. University, Baroda.
Group Shows :
• 2019 Trinity : A Sublime Identity at International Roerich Memorial Trust, Naggar, Kullu (H.P.)
• 2019 Tavern Hall, Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex, The Mall Shimla (H.P.)
• 2018 Women and Tradition in Contemporary Art (International Exchange Exhibition by Korea-India Women Artist) By : R.L.K.A., Jaipur
• 2017 Roerich Art Gallery, Naggar, Kullu, H.P.
• 2017 “OPEN BOOKS” Artist and the Chinese Folding Book International Art Exhibition, Jaipur
• 2015 An International Art Exhibition, J&K Center for Creative Arts, Jammu
• 2015 Roerich Art Gallery, Naggar, Kullu, H.P.
• 2015 Birla Academy of Art & Culture, Kolkata
• 2014 Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Banglore
• 2013 Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi
• 2013 ‘Beyond August 15’ Hotel Aquamarine, Chandigarh
• 2012 National Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
• 2011 National Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
• 2011 Wales Rajasthan Exchange exhibition, J.K.K., Jaipur & Howards Garden Gallery, Cardiff, U.K.
• 2011 Desert symphony, Dhoomimal city gallery, New Delhi.
• 2009 “Cross Country” National Exhibition Art, at Delhi by Kerala Lalit Kala Academy
• 2008 ‘ART today in Rajasthan’ organised by Dhoomimal Art Centre, New Delhi.
• 2008 ‘An Aristic Journey’ Rajasthan and U.K. Organized by A.B.S.,Jaipur and Chandigarh, R.L.K.A., Jaipur, L.K.A & British Council, New Delhi at Chandigarh.
• 2007 ‘An Artistic Journey’ Rajasthan and U.K.organized by A.B.S., R.L.K.A., J.V.F., Jaipur and British Council, New Delhi at Jaipur.
• 2003 Rules of Engagement, Liantarnam Grange Art Centre, Cwmbran, U.K.
• 2002 Print making from Rajasthan, St. David’s Hall, Cardiff.
• 2001 ‘Cross X Links’ Women Artists from India and New Zealand, India & New Zealand.
• 2001 ‘Tradition to Modernity’ Contemporary Indian Painting, Germany.
• 2000 Graphic Expressions Print Show by Cymroza Art Gallery, Mumbai.
• 2000 Shridharani Gallery, New Delhi.
• 1999 ‘The Desert And Beyond’ by British Council, New Delhi.
• 1997 Liantarnam Grange Art Centre, Cwmbran, U.K.
• 1996 Artist in residency by Art Council of Wales, U.K.
• 1996 A.I.F.A.C.S., New Delhi.
• 1996 Liantarnam Grange Art Centre, Cwmbran, U.K.
• 1994 Centaur Hotel Air Port Mahalsa Art Gallery, Mumbai.
• 1991 Contemporary Art Gallery, Ahemdabad.
Awards And Scholarships :
• 2020, 2015, 1988 Rajkala Puraskar by R.L.K.A., Jaipur
• 2017 “SHAKTI-2017” honoured by Platinum University, Udaipur
• 2017 Honour for – ‘Wall of The Lord’ Shreenathji Temple Parikrama by Nathdwara Temple Board, Nathdwara
• 2016 First Award by ‘WE’ A group of Indian Contemporary Women Artist, Chandigarh
• 2000- 02 Junior fellowship for Print Making by Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
• 1996 Fellowship for two months by Art Council of Wales, U.K.
• 1993-94 Research Grant for Print Making by N.L.K.A.New Delhi.
• 1985,88,92 Tulika Kalakar Parishad, Udaipur,
• 1989 ‘Creators’, Ambala.
• 2021 Contemporary Art of Rajasthan(Sono Rajasthan Kala Pradarshini), Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur
• 2020 ‘BLUE SKY’, Shadows of Hiroshima online National Exhibition of Art by ‘WHITE ROSE’.
• 2019 8th All India Women Artists, Contemporary Art Exhibition By Artscapes, Chandigarh
• 2019 “Contemporary Art of Rajasthan” at J.K.K., Jaipur Organizes by R.L.K.A. & Rajasthan Tourism
• 2017 All India Exhibition of Arts by Indian Academy of Fine Arts, Amritsar
• 2017 ‘Prints From Rajasthan’, JKK, Jaipur
• 2017 “Wall of The Lord” Shrinath Temple Parikrama by Nathdwara Temple Board, Nathdwara
• 2015 State Art Exhibition by R.L.K.A., Jaipur
• 2009 Shiplgram utsav by W.Z.C.C., Udaipur.
• 2008 8th Bharat Bhavan International Biennial of Print-Art, Bhopal.
• 2007 Shiplgram Utsav by W.Z.C.C., Udaipur.
• 2007 Women Artist of Rajasthan by J.K.K., Jaipur.
• 2006 ‘Through The Looking Glass’ The Women’s Art Association, Wales, U.K.
• 2006 ‘Viginiti’ The Women’s Art Association, U.K.
• 2006 Women Artist of Rajasthan by J.K.K., Jaipur.
• 1998 All India Drawing Exhibition by R.L.K.A., Jaipur.
• 1997 The 19th International Independence Exhibition of Prints in Kanagawa, Japan.
• 1997 Women’s art show to commemorate 50 yrs of Independence by art front at Mahalsa Art Gallery, Mumbai.
• 1996 Art around ‘The Bay’, U.K.
• 1996 All India Art Biennial of Rajasthan.
• 1996 An Exhibition of Contemporary Art of Rajasthan by R.L.K.A. and G.S.L.K.A., Ahemdabad.
• 1995 Rashtriya Kala Mela by L.K.A. Lucknow
• 1995 The Indian Academy of Fine Art, Amritsar.
• 1994 Exhibition of Art by U.N.D.C.P., New Delhi.
• 1988,90,94 Rashtriya Kala Mela by L.K.A., New Delhi
• 1986,87,88 All India Art Exhibition by T.K.P., Udaipur .90,92
• 1994 – 97 State Art Exhibition by R.L.K.A., Jaipur.
• 1992 6th All India Youth Art Contest, Nagpur.
• 1991, 98 All India Exhibition of Art by A.I.F.A.C.S., New Delhi.
• 1991, 96 All India Exhibition of Art by L.K.A., Lucknow.
• 1988, 89, 95 National Exhibition of Art by L.K.A., New Delhi.
• 1987 All India Print Exhibition by ‘Takman-28’, Udaipur.
Camps And Workshops :
• 2019 “SPRING UDAIPUR” an International Multimedia Art Symposia, Organized by Visual Art Dept. M.L.S.U. Udaipur, Rajasthan
• 2018 International Multimedia Art Symposium at Takhman-28 Collaboration – N.L.K.A., New Delhi & W.Z.C.C., Udaipur
• 2017 National Painters Camp, at Dehradun by Kerala, L.K.A.
• 2017 “The National Women Arts Festival” at MLSU, Udaipur by N.L.K.A., New Delhi
• 2017 International Camp, “Krishnacharit-2” at Chittorgarh
• 2016 National Painters Camp at Khajjiar, H.P.
• 2016 National Painters Camp by Punjab L.K.A, Chandigarh
• 2016 National Painting Workshop by I.I.S. University, Jaipur
• 2016 National Level Painting Workshop Govt. Gollege for Women, Rohtak, Haryana
• 2016 National Painting Workshop at Arya Kanya Mahavidhyalaya Shahabad, Haryana
• 2015 National Art Camp by Zenith Arts at Dhanolti, Mussoorie
• 2015 All India Summer Art Camp by Prestige Art Gallary, Jodhpur
• 2013 National Painters Camp at “Alva’s. VARNA VIRASAT” Mijar, Moodbidri, Karnataka
• 2013 All India Women Painters Workshop by J.K.K., Jaipur
• 2013 State Level Art Workshop in Pushkar, by R.L.K.A. Jaipur
• 2010 National Multimedia Workshop, Faculty of visual art, M.L.S.U., Udaipur.
• 2009 National Camp of contemporary art, L.K.A., Kerela.
• 2008 National Camp on Traditional & Folk Art at Diu by W.Z.C.C, Udaipur.
• 2007 State Art Workshop, R.K.L.A., Jaipur.
• 2000 – 07 Artist camp at Shilpgram by W.Z.C.C., Udaipur
• 2005 Kala Kumbh, Bikaner.
• 2003 All India Graphic Workshop by W.Z.C.C., Udaipur.
• 1999 All India Women Artists at J.K.K., Jaipur.
• 1997 Contemporary Painters Workshop of Daman by W.Z.C.C., Udaipur.
• 1985 All India Art Camp by T.K.P., Udaipur.
• 1985, 86, 87, All India Artist Camps of Painting, Printmaking and Terracotta organized by “Ajj” Society, Udaipur.
• National Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi
• Lalit Kala Acedemy, Kerala
• Punjab Lalit Kala Academy, Chandigarh
• I.I.S, University, Jaipur
• Govt. College for Women, Rohtak, Haryana
• Arya Kanya Mahavidhyalaya, Shahabad, Haryana
• R.L.K. Academic, Jaipur.
• Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur.
• Sahitya Kala Parishad, New Delhi.
• Mehta Offset Works, New Delhi.
• Anchor Electronics & Electrical Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai.
• SWASH (N.G.O.), Udaipur.
• W.Z.C.C., Udaipur.
• Alwa’s, Moodbidri, Karnataka
• Kalaneri Art Gallery, Jaipur
• Prestige Art Gallery, Jodhpur
• Sanwariya Temple Trust, Chittorgarh
• Private Collection in India, U.K., U.S.A., Holland, Germany, France, New Zealand, Japan, Israel, Ireland, Canada, Pakistan, Bhutan etc…
• Taught Painting Voluntarily to prisoners, Central Jail, Udaipur from 2007 to 2010.
• Illustration for Sahitya Varshiki, India Today 1996-2000 and Bhojpuri Patrika, 1996.
• Articles published in various local and national Newspapers & Research Magazines in Hindi and Rajasthani.
• Gives talks on Radio.
• Dissertation, has been done on her art work by two students from visual art depertment. Dayal Bagh University, U.P. and Arya kanya Mahavidhyalaya, Shahabad, Haryana.
• Articles on her written by art critics in various magazines and newspapers.