Acrylic & Sand On Canvas Paintings
Focus Areas: Cities, Figures, etc.
Artworks by Shobitha Hariharan
About Shobitha Hariharan
Stemming from my interest in all things old and the ethos left behind by our ancestors, my work leans towards representing aspects that create a dialogue between the then and the now. I look for the similarities and commonalities between the past and the present and to create something fresh and new from the legacy. A visual to tell new stories.
My paintings have been inspired by my interest in history, literature and the art and architecture of the past. I see myself as a sparrow whose presence is fleeting and transitory and yet observant and thoughtful. That sparrow is you [the viewer] too.
My work is inspired by and centred around my personal experiences and interests. I see myself as a painter and writer of sights, sentiments and memories.
Art has been a childhood fascination. The journey has been a self taught and self motivated one. My skills have grown with attending workshops conducted by senior artists to watch, understand and learn the subtleties of different mediums and techniques.
My realistic artworks experiment with interpretation of the past and have received wide appreciation. My artworks are in collection in India and abroad.
I have a formal academic education in Commerce, Law and Company compliance. I quit a successful corporate career to fulfil my dreams.
- Solo show @India Art Festival, Mumbai – January 2020
- Solo show @India Art Festival, Mumbai – January 2019
- Solo Exhibition @David Sassoon Gallery, Mumbai – March 2019
- Group show @World Art Dubai 2019 – April 2019
- Group show – Annual Drawing and sketching competition @ Artists Center, Mumbai – August 2019
- Group show @ India Art Festival, Mumbai – February 2018
- Solo Exhibition @BMW New Model launch – Mumbai April 2018
- Solo show @ Kala Spandan Art Fair, Mumbai – November 2018
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festivals Photography contest 2017 – (Photography Exhibition) @The Terrace Gallery, Jehangir Art Gallery February 2017
Since 2018 I have contributed articles on Master Artists and inspirational articles for artists in the Art Newspaper ‘Colour Canvas’.
As a writer I write columns, short stories and book reviews.